Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Schlotzsky's Style Buns


It's been awhile since I have posted anything. I have just been really busy with a vacation and getting ready for the summer garden. Today I really felt the need for a sandwich from Schlotzsky's Deli. Don't feel like driving there, so I will make my own! I worked at a Schlotzskys when I was in high school. I started out making the sandwiches and then graduated to baking the buns. This is my version. Theirs is a highly guarded secret that comes in a mix.
This recipe starts out very much like the famous no knead bread. I start the night before I have a day off. The dough sits overnight while the yeast works it's magic. It's really easy, and requires only 5 ingredients.
The downside? You need 2 small cake pans. This dough is really loose so it needs the support of a pan. I suppose you could make 1 giant bun in a 9 inch cake pan if you wanted to!

Start the night before you intend to use buns
Recipe
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup + 1 tbsp water
sesame seeds for sprinkling

Start by whisking dry ingredients in a bowl to combine. Add water and stir until there are no dry bits of
flour. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit on your counter overnight.



This is what it looks like the next morning

The next day, spray two 5 inch cake pans with oil and divide the wet dough between the two pans. Cover with a wet tea towel or a bowl and let rise for a few hours. The time is really loose. Whenever the dough has risen back up to fill about half of the pans is good.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
Sprinkle the buns with sesame seeds and bake for 18 minutes. When they are done, immediately turn out onto a cooling rack. You can use them the same day, or refrigerate for a few days. They also freeze really well.



I like to make my sandwich just like we did at Schlotzsky's.
Slice buns in two. Place on a baking sheet and brush on melted butter with garlic. Broil for a few minutes until starting to brown. Remove and top one side with shredded cheddar, the other with shredded Italian cheese blend. Return to the broiler until melted and bubbly. Sliced tomatoes, onions, cucumber, shredded lettuce, chopped black olives, a drizzle of Italian dressing! Delish veggie sandwich! The one I have pictured has turkey too!

No comments:

Post a Comment